Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Week 28: Nursery & News

Week 28: Baby A just chillin' (bottom) and Baby B throwing up peace signs (top)
Well, I managed to survive my first week of bedrest. The first couple of days weren't too bad, then the boredom and monotony of it all sank in. It was such a God-thing that Richard's furlough was the remainder of that week. Having him home and taking care of things helped make the transition much easier for me. Plus, I really enjoyed watching him and Josiah have some good quality time together - as exhausting as it was for him, I'm sure he loved it too.

The out-pouring of love from our friends has amazed me! For that first week, we did not have to worry about a single meal as we were provided for almost each night (the other nights we had plenty of leftovers). I've had a few visitors, which has really helped break up the moments of boredom. And the thoughtfulness for us and Josiah is astounding - that kid has been showered with love as well with new toys and little activities to keep him busy. He and I had some good times coloring together and snuggling on the couch. It was precious time spent.

Over the weekend I allowed myself to go upstairs ONCE to help finish up the nursery for the twins. I directed where things needed to be hung and where to place certain items. Getting it done was two-fold: I was dying to have it ready so I could cross it off my list AND we needed it to be a less cluttered, usable space for our visitors to sleep.

So here we are, the nursery is pretty much done (minus a few more needed items to purchase)!
One VERY full closet for two very blessed little girls!

Cribs complete with coordinating baby blankets a friend made along with matching letter art I made

More clothes in that dresser and changing station

Simple wall decor and the glider where I envision rocking these sweet littles
It's a small space, but it's perfect! I sat in there for a bit afterwards to take it all in and pray for our girls. I wish I could do that everyday, but the Lord knows my heart.

For someone on bedrest, my week is filling up! Monday Richard's mom arrived from Georgia to help out with Josiah and such for a week. My mom is driving from Oregon (leaving Thursday, will arrive Sunday or Monday) and will be here until after the girls arrive to help out. Yes, a long visit, but we've already been pretty open about expectations when communicating and getting over getting on each other's nerves ;) I've got a few days this week when I'll have some friends stop by to visit - so thankful! I sure do miss seeing my people!

It was nice to get out of the house for a bit this morning for my MFM appointment. A quiet drive in the car and some new scenery does a heart good. I was especially anxious about my appointment as I was hopeful there'd be some improvement in my status. I was pretty disappointed when I found out there wasn't, but I held it together - no crying! ...until I got home. Last week I was measuring at 1.3cm to 1.7cm and this week I was measuring 1.0cm to 1.4cm, which in doctor world is "about the same" since they don't really read too much into the minor millimeter differences. I, on the other hand, look at it very differently. I couldn't dwell on it too much when I was talking to my doctor because he brought up a couple other things. My blood pressure was a bit high again this week and since it had been like that for a couple weeks he wanted to do some lab tests for pre-eclampsia to be sure. So, I went across the hall to my OB's office and had blood drawn for that. He encouraged me to lay down a bit more if possible to make sure I'm keeping as much pressure off my cervix as possible. I will probably have to spend more time in bed than on the couch, sadly. I've been avoiding doing that only because I don't want to feel isolated at all - I still want to be around my son and feel like I'm a part of things, so this will be even more difficult emotionally.

He saved the baby info for last. Their heartbeats were good, as usual. They are growing well - each one weighs about 2lbs 12ounces now. They checked for their practice breathing and they're doing well with that. They also checked their umbilical cord flow. Baby A was great, but Baby B had some interruption, which the doctor explained can be normal with twins. He told me since the umbilical cord is like a hose, certain movement or baby's position can put pressure on the cord/limit flow to the baby. He said he wasn't too concerned about it and that we'll look again next week.

Y'all. I'm overwhelmed. The reality of these girls being born so early is starting to sink in. I'm frustrated. I just want my body to do what it's supposed to do! I don't want a short cervix. I don't want pre-eclampsia. I don't want to meet them until they are grown. I don't want them in the NICU. Yet, I know God is good and that he has a plan for them and it's going to be ok. I have to keep trusting that. I have to keep His hope in my heart. His word; His truth will sustain me.

Please pray:
-For my time on bedrest - my emotional well-being along with it physically helping me and my body
-For the babies - they continue growing well and that no further issues with umbilical cord flow
-For a negative result for pre-eclampsia and that my blood pressure will stabilize
-For my emotions regarding Josiah - he's excited grandma is here, but as I was expecting he's testing me more by not obeying as well, being manipulative, and really not wanting anything to do with me (I've cried a few times because he's refused to even sit by me or want mommy to do anything). Again, I know this was expected, but it sure hurts my heart when I already feel like I'm giving over my authority as mom.
-For the hubby - that he will be encouraged, strengthened, and refreshed while dealing with my emotions as well as the grandmas staying with us and helping. It can be overwhelming to have people in your space for a time.
-For the Lord to give me strength as we tackle each day and each piece of news through this journey - that others will see Him through our story

No comments:

Post a Comment